THE CRYSTAL BALL OF OUR INDUSTRY
Solidification software helps us drive toward highly manufacturable and efficient designs. It allows us to predict the future and rewrite it by fixing problems before they occur.
We have the ability to run a simulation on any casting design. The software demonstrates certain parameters including temperature and solidification over a period of time and what defect to expect. However, it won’t tell you how to fix it.
That’s where we come in. Our experience and knowledge helps us make necessary changes that prevent defects.
A REAL-WORLD EXAMPLE
During the design process for this hydraulic component, we adjusted the core’s geometry in the center cavity to create a larger path to the riser, improving feeding characteristics of the casting. See the before-and-after from our software below.
The image on the left depicts the original casting geometry. The image to the right depicts an isolated volume of liquid metal that will result in a shrinkage defect (porosity).
In this series of screenshots the image on the left highlights a slight modification that has been made to the casting design. As you can see in the image on the right-side, the solidification is now progressing toward the riser, without isolated liquid metal.
To see to solidification software in action while keeping the points above in mind, watch the video below. On the left-side we have isolated the BEFORE simulation next to the AFTER on the right, you will be able to recognize the problem areas identified above in our simulation of this casting.
WHAT SOLIDIFICATION SOFTWARE OFFERS
- Identifies filling and shrinkage issues.
- Executes the complete cycle which includes preheating of the mold.
- Simulates filling of the mold (we can see exactly where and how the metal flows and how it enters the mold cavity).
- Recognizes the flow of metal into and within the mold so we can observe the amount of turbulence as too much could lead to defects.
- Helps us confirm if a thin wall or pathway will effectively fill or if it’s likely to result in a defect.
- Displays temperatures throughout the entire part so we can predict if and where a problem could occur and whether the probability is high, medium, or low.
- Shows us if the metal is already cold or within a desirable temperature range once it reaches any point within the mold. (If it is too cold the metal may not be fluid enough to fill a void or wall.)
When we identify problems areas, we have a variety of options that may solve the problems without adjusting the part design, such as:
- Change where we gate the part, and how many gates we use.
- Add inserts that heat or chill a specific area of the mold.
- Test different alloys that would be more or less likely to create a void.
We also have access to partners with software that offer feedback on heat treating cycles or stress analysis on the part or mold. This gives you a better understanding of how the part performs based on data we analyze from the software.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU
OPTIMIZES THE MANUFACTURABILITY OF YOUR DESIGN
Coupled with our knowledge and experience, using our solidification software allows us to optimize the manufacturability of your casting design.
By sharing before-and-after videos or still shots of the simulations (including all variables and data from the software), we can demonstrate problem areas we address. This shows our customers that we can improve and optimize the manufacturability of their part based on their specifications.
IMPROVES ACCURACY AND INCREASES ON-TIME DELIVERIES
Since introducing our solidification technology, we’ve reduced unexpected defects from casting designs. This results in less delays during new mold launches and more efficient use of resources (creating more consistency and reliability for our customers). By reducing defects, we can guarantee on-time deliveries with less delays.
If you’ve designed a part and want to test its manufacturability, we can run it through our software. Contacting us early in your design stage prevents unexpected delays, avoids cost overages, and optimizes your part’s manufacturability
Our goal with this software is to provide a predictable and positive experience by fixing problems before they happen.